The Ballantine House is closed for restoration through Fall 2023.

The Ballantine House, the last 19th-century mansion on Washington Street, was the home of John and Jeannette Ballantine of the Newark beer-brewing family. Architect George Edward Harney designed the 27-room, brick and sandstone house. The Ballantines and their four children moved into their new home in 1885.

Part of The Newark Museum of Art since 1937, The Ballantine House is a wing of the Museum complex. The first-floor rooms opened to the public in 1976. The building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. In 1994, the first- and second-floor period rooms were restored to reveal the house as it was lived in between 1885 and 1919. Thematic galleries highlight the Decorative Arts collection. Works from the Museum’s global art collections are installed throughout the house.

What Is Happening at The Ballantine House?  

Currently and continuing through 2022, the exterior of the 1885 Ballantine House will be undergoing restoration. This necessary historic preservation is integral to the stewardship of The Newark Museum of Art and plays a major focus in enhancing visitor experiences.  As more than regular maintenance allows, the brick walls and slate roof need cleaning and minor repairs, and the stonework, windows, and ornamental and structural details need restoration. Tented, heated scaffolding allows this work to continue through the elements and inclement weather.

When the scaffolding comes down in 2022, the building will look as it did in 1885. Interior architectural restoration and new interpretive installations will continue through 2023.