• Current

    Featured exhibitions and special projects currently on view

  • Past

    Previously installed exhibitions and special projects

The Ballantine House Fund

Join our group of neighbors and supporters of the 1885 Ballantine House, the last 19th‑century mansion on Washington Street, and an icon of Newark’s Gilded Age.

The Ballantine House Fund is dedicated to the care and presentation of our historic mansion. Donations underwrite annual maintenance and critical preservation work necessary to safeguard the site for future generations.  Donors to The Ballantine House Fund have funded projects including critical facade restoration, roof repair, replacement of obsolete fire and life safety systems, interior finishes restoration, monitoring and assessment of the historic structure and its original details. Funding also supports research, interpretation, and community engagement to connect the house to new audiences.

Donors of $500 and up are recognized in the Orientation Gallery each year and receive a copy of a commemorative fully illustrated publication, The Ballantine House, and an annual report on activities in The Ballantine House. Gifts of stock, securities, matching and tribute gifts, and IRA distributions are welcome.

For more information about the Fund, donor levels, and recognition, please contact  Michele Saliola, Director of Membership and Individual Giving, at 973-596-6491or msaliola@newarkmuseumart.org.

Donate to the Ballantine House Fund

 

About the Ballantine House

The Ballantine House, the last 19th-century mansion on Washington Street, was the home of John and Jeannette Ballantine of the Newark beer-brewing family. Architect George Edward Harney designed the 27-room, brick and limestone house. The Ballantines and their four children moved into their new home in 1885.

Part of the Newark Museum of Art since 1937, The Ballantine House is a wing of the Museum complex. The first floor rooms opened to the public in 1976.The building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1985. Since 1994, the first and second-floor period rooms reveal the house as it was lived in between 1885 and 1919. Thematic galleries highlight the Decorative Arts collection and works from the Museum’s global art collections are installed throughout the house.